Thursday 13 December 2007

Design and Sell

As designers, how do we tend to look at design? The connection between Design and Business was discussed about a great deal in the CII-NID Leadership through Design Summit 2007 in Bangalore. It was attended by big names in design and business from all over the world. It started with how design helps business and ended with how business helps design.

Some quotes I'd like to mention here, and I request some comments from designers who read the blog.
"Design is too important to be left to designers alone" --Jacob Matthew, Idiom.

"Presently, the situation in India is that of 10 designers graduating from a D-school, 6 want to save the planet, 3 get into academics, and 1 starts his own business. I want all the 10 of them to think about business" --Kishore Biyani, Future Group.

Is this statement not too business for design?

I thought I knew what design was until I attended the summit. I don't know whether to continue with my perception of what design is, or to listen to what the people at the summit have been asking me to believe. I have a serious problem when people associate design to business, because of one observation.


I have another doubt after attending the summit.

"As Designers, Do we Design and Sell or Just Use Design to Sell? Are Businessmen game or are they just Using 'Design'(the word) to Sell?"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Design is too important to be left to designers alone as much as management cannot be left to managers alone and so on.
also very often professionals dont really understand the importance and the scope of what they do and can do.

On kishore Biyani's comment I would like to add that without the "business thinking" even saving the world cannot be sustainable. Would recommend the book that Neelam Chhiber gave out at the end of her breakout session " How to Change the World " by David Bornstein.
A sustainable business/financial model is very important if an idea has to grow and spread.

When I graduated I hit the professional world with this feeling that business was innately
evil now that I am older I dont think it is evil though all too often the models that conventional business builds is perhaps too simplistic and designers have an important role to play to get the interconnectedness of things across.
Jacob Mathew

Anonymous said...

According to me we design to sell. Whatever we design has to be used by masses or other people. But for that you got to tell people about it and this thing is what we call business. So through business only we can make the public aware of our talent. Take an example of M.F. Hussain, he is known today because his paintings sell at a very high price although many who buy them may be purchasing only for status and not for appreciation of art. So in this case it’s the business that gives recognition.

Designers are capable of designing many great things but it then has to be economically and technologically feasible for which you need corporate world to interfere. Thus business will always have an upper hand and we got to live with it.

Tanmay Jyot.

Siddharth Adelkar said...

Sam

"10 designers graduating from a D-school, 6 want to save the planet, 3 get into academics, and 1 starts his own business." - Biyani

I feel this is a serious statement. It shows Mr Biyani's blatant disregard for and perhaps even ignorance of environmental and socio-political issues facing the planet. Moreover, I feel, it also reflects his cynicism towards the significance of sympathetic design to solve the probems and outright dismissal of the blunders of improvident designing endeavors of the past.

By this statement he implies, that investment in current enterprise is more important than investment in the possibility of decent existence in the future.

While, I dare not intend reform Mr Biyani's outlook, I am afraid his point of view might be shared by most corporate leaders in our country.